Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Law & Order

Her name is Michelle. She is obviously unaccustomed to court procedures as she approaches the bailiff to ask questions about her case. When he tells her he can't help, she proceeds to the attorneys sitting in the front. They shew her off as they prepare their already full caseload. She finally takes a seat at the request of the bailiff as the judge is welcomed into the courtroom. "All rise for the honorable Judge Walker."


It's Monday and I've got better things to do than sit in a courtroom waiting my turn just to hear the inevitable outcome, "Judgement in favor of the plaintiff due to the defendant's failure to appear. I am awarding you the full amount of your claim as well as an immediate writ of possession of the property." I'm here because one of our tenants has failed to pay rent and we have to follow the law on how to evict them and take our property back. This is part of my job that I find intriguing and yet painfully dull. Intriguing because of the first hand glimpse into our judicial system. Dull because of the fact that 90% of my time in court is spent waiting. Next time I'll bring a book or some knitting...


45 minutes has dragged slowly on and only 1 of the 91 cases has been heard so far. The air in the room feels thinner due to the mass of people beginning to get impatient and letting out their audible sighs. Michelle stands up and addresses the Judge, "Your honor, I have an emergency! My grandson is in the hospital and I don't know if he's gonna make it. Is there any way you can take my case early?"


My eyes follow Michelle as she approaches the bench. She's not more than 5 feet tall with a petite figure. She can probably shop in the children's sizes and apparent from her bright pink tee, skinny jeans and red crocs, she does. Her skin is a medium brown tone and most distracting is her hair- if it is her hair. Shoulder length curls flow wildly away from her head and I can't tell if it's a really awful weave or a really awful wig. Her small stature is made up for by her hair and her boldness. As I watch her talk, I notice her teeth. They have the tell tale signs of an addict.


People begin to get restless in their seats and my mind reels with doubt as to the truthfulness of her story. Who is this woman with such nerve? Why should she not have to wait like all of the rest of us? Your honor, can you hear my case early, too? I have a son I have to be home for when he gets out of school and I have a blister on my foot from these heels I wore to look professional in court!


The gracious Judge Walker agrees to hear her case next and Michelle turns to take her seat right next to me...


Tune in for the conclusion of this entry at a later date.

2 comments:

Zoe@WelcometomyMother'Hood said...

Awwww come on.... are you kidding me, you had me at Hello!?!?! Is this a true story... I need more information please....

CollazoCrew said...

Yes, true story...and a good one too.