Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Family Experiment

The ladies at our church are going through the book of Philippians. I have been challenged in my everyday life to live out what I'm learning. The following is an email I sent out to the ladies about some of that:

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing." (Phil 2:14)
This passage keeps going through my head this week. It's funny how the Lord brings something up that you don't normally pay much attention to and you start to notice it EVERYWHERE!

It seems there is an epidemic in my household called "Grumblitis" with one of the worst symptoms being dispuking. Other symptoms include huffiness, scowling, stiff neck, pouting, and overall irritability. I noticed it in me today when I received a call from my husband. "Hey honey, are you free for lunch? There's a luncheon I'd like you to join me at." I respond impatiently, "It's my only day off and there are things I need to get done! Why couldn't you let me know earlier?" (Huff!) I agree to go and we arrive late which further exaggerates my symptoms. I notice my husband's demeanor changing from grin to grim and realize I may have infected him.

It's highly contagious and I'm seeing it in my children, too. Their immune systems can't fight it off as well as mine so it's infecting them full force. I can tell because as we're going through our regular daily routine I am met with remarks such as, "There's nothing good to eat! Why do I have to clean my room today? Can't I play for ten more minutes? You never let me do anything fun!" It's strange because the refrigerator is full. They have never gone without a meal. They know they have to clean their room every week. They get more than enough game time and more than enough entertainment opportunities. Nothing has changed except their attitude...

So, what's the antidote? Thankfully my Dad's a doctor and He specializes in illnesses such as these. The medicine He prescribes is obedience in humility washed down with the word. It can be a hard pill to swallow by someone with so much pride and self-will as me but it's the only remedy for this ailment. I am hoping this isn't one of those resistant strains...


As a family experiment in trying to change some bad habits, I have implemented a game of sorts; if someone is caught grumbling, whining, or complaining they get called out and have to name 3 positive things to counter what they were complaining about. Everyone plays. I'll let you know the lab results in a couple weeks. My hope is that there will be a lot less grumbling and a lot more gratefulness.

No comments: