Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Family Experiment: Update

This morning on my one and only day off, I was cleaning the house. Cleaning is a great time to think. So I did. Somehow my thoughts turned into complaining about stuff that had happened in the past. I was grumbling about relationships that had dissolved and wondering if the other parties had felt the loss and pain to the extent that we have... I began to sense a knot in my stomach as the emotions of those hurts tried to resurface. Before they could gain momentum I was quickly reminded of 2 things:

1. God has brought incredibly fulfilling friendships into my life in the past year that have challenged me and encouraged me in my faith.

2. In Philippians 3 it says, "forgetting what is behind I press on...". This happens to be where we are at in the ladies study so I figure this is a good time to put it into practice and have some life application to share on Thursday.

Taking hold of those thoughts and acting on them via a phone call to one of those friends to let her know how thankful I am for her helped change my direction of thought and emotions turning my grumbling into gratefulness. Although my heart longs for resolution of past conflict, it is not in my power to bring it about. I can only trust God's purposes forgetting what is behind and pressing on...

I guess I called myself out...there may be hope for this pessimist after all!

No comments: