Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer Book Review

I was on a C.S. Lewis kick this summer and read "The Great Divorce". It is an allegory about how Christians tried to mix a little of the"world" into their lives thinking they could bring it with them into eternity but were met on the horizon of Heaven and couldn't enter unless they let those things go. Sadly, many of them would not.

The book challenged my thinking with reminders of how God has truly set us apart for eternity. We can't take even one little piece of the world with us to heaven. Neither can the world retain any true form of heaven-only cheap counterfeits. The two are mutually exclusive. The challenge came to evaluate my life by that standard. Is there any piece of the world I am holding on to? Something I've let creep into my thinking or behavior? How do I make decisions- big or small? Is it with eternity in mind? I want to live a life that is so consumed with God that when my time comes, there won't be anything to let go of. From glory to Glory, baby!

1 comment:

Zoe@WelcometomyMother'Hood said...

SO what your saying is that there is no People or US weekly in heaven? What the heck Denise?! LOL ;) Lov yas Zo.... I really totally get it though. Be the change you want to see girl!