Friday, August 29, 2008

Show Your School Spirit! (for a small fee)


Jonathan has been hounding me all week about "Hat Day" this Friday at school. Here are parts of our conversation.


Johnny: Mom, can I wear a hat to school on Friday?


Mom: I need more information.


Johnny: It's Hat Day on Friday, so can I?


Mom: I don't see why not, as long as it doesn't distract you or your classmates from accomplishing what you're there for...


Johnny: Okay, I need $.50.


Mom: What for?


Johnny: (Huff) Hat Day!


Mom: What? They charge you to participate?


Johnny: Yeah, it's $.50.


Intermission: Is this strange to anyone else? When I was in school, I walked barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways and the purpose of spirit days was to promote involvement and unity in the student body. When did it become a fundraising opportunity? Jonathan's already brought home packets for cookie dough, scented candles, wrapping paper, magazine subscriptions and we're only in the 3rd week of school! Where's my tax money going? Back to the conversation...


Johnny: So, can I have fifty cents?


Mom: Yes, get it out of the coin jar.


Johnny: (impatiently)Mah-ahm! That's MY money!


Mom: YOUR money? If I recall correctly, that is the same jar that I empty my change into when my cup holder in the car and change purse get too full. Do you have a job that I am unaware of? Have you started contributing to the coin jar? When did it become yours?


...Apparently he found the jar in the cupboard and since it didn't have someone's name on it, he claimed it for his own. I guess this is the mentality of most children toward their parents, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine." (I hear echos of seagulls. Quick, Nemo, swim for your life!)


Lifelesson: (I get a lot of these from Jonathan) Many believers have that same attitude towards God and His financial provision. Everything I earn is MINE and everything God gives me is MINE. I determine how it gets spent, saved, invested, or given away. I! ME! MINE! I must confess I've been guilty of this attitude. It creeps in almost imperceptibly until I take inventory of my heart, behavior and spending patterns. Instead, I should recognize that everything I have is His and seek His guidance for how to steward His stuff.

2 comments:

Zoe@WelcometomyMother'Hood said...

The best part of this story is at the begining.. when I can literally hear you through the story say....' I need more information'... I am still laughing and loving me some J-dawg! Lov ya Zo

The Phillips Family said...

Isn't that a hard one, if only we all handled that one better, we would probably all be better off!