Friday, July 25, 2008

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away....

I had a moment this afternoon. The kind that is barely perceptible. A glitch in the matrix. Something changes. I'm not quite sure what but I know that life as I have known it is now over.

Manny was invited to see a movie with a buddy this afternoon. With no adult supervision. Since he is now a teenager, we decided to let him test the open seas of independence hoping the current doesn't drag him out into more treacherous waters. We figured 2 hours with his eyes glued to a giant screen and his rear to the chair was a pretty low risk.

The moment happened when I waved goodbye as he and Mikey entered the megaplex. No hug. Not much of a farewell. More like a nod in my direction. Didn't he realize what a huge deal this was? Maybe, just maybe he'd glance back with the look of excitement mingled with nervousness at the idea of being on his own in this great big world-without mom or dad. Nothing. That was it. Goodbye my sweet firstborn little boy. Hello young man.

1 comment:

Zoe@WelcometomyMother'Hood said...

Umm here goes a tear for you, that made me totally tear up...