Sunday, July 13, 2008

Role Reversal

Those of you who know Manny will get a chuckle out of this...


I went to work in January out of financial necessity which was an adjustment for our family because in our 13 years of marriage I have never "had" to work (outside of the home). The primary adjustment for me has been in household chores.

Arriving home from work exhausted, I was greeted by the aroma of stale gerbil urine, a sink full of dishes, an empty fridge, and mountains of dirty laundry. I snapped. With typical female hysteria I voiced, "I can't do this all by myself! You guys are going to have to help pick up the slack!" Manny said that he'd be happy to and diffused the potential fit had any resistance been shown. (Ask and you shall receive...)

Fast Forward to...today. I arrive home from work to the delightful smell of fabric softener and the purrr of the dishwasher. As I reach the landing upstairs, with a full view of the boys' rooms, I see beds...MADE! Gerbil cages...CLEAN! It just keeps getting better... as I make my way to my room to change into comfies, I hear Manny yell to the boys, "Take the laundry out of the dryer and start folding it while I make dinner!"

Did I hear that correctly? Make dinner? This was too good to be true. My husband... Mr. Machismo...making dinner, too? I hurried down to the kitchen to confirm what I'd heard. There was Manny with a box of Mac & Cheese and a pot of water on the stove.

Yeah, it's official. He's domesticated.

1 comment:

jennie said...

that is hilarious! - and i'm so glad you guys have a blog :)