Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Science Fair Projects & Google

Manny's science teacher required everyone to enter the science fair this year. He announced to us that he wanted to build a hovercraft. Not wanting to discourage him, I held my tongue but the look on my face revealed my doubt as to whether that was a realistic endeavor. I mean, when I was Manny's age (okay I sound like my dad already) science fair projects consisted of paper mache volcanoes and rock candy. 

Apparently things have changed. Today going to a science fair is like cramming 50 episodes of Mythbusters into an auditorium. With the click of a button, Manny and his project partner, Brandon, found instructions on how to build a hovercraft, went to the garage in search of supplies, and made a call to Uncle Ryan for power tools and expertise. 1 piece of plywood, 1 shower curtain, 1 leaf blower and lots and lots of duct tape later, they had a bonafide hovercraft!

This vehicle actually withstood the weight of a 5'10" teen with no problem. Manny came home from school a proud young man telling us of his presentation and all the attention his project received.  We were proud, surprised, and impressed parents.

1 comment:

The Phillips Family said...

Wow, very impressive. I would have had the same first response! Way to go Manny!